Chronicle The oldest hotel of Osnabrueck
... the hotel "Walhalla" is situated in the core of the old town of Osnabrueck, right opposite the Town Hall, the Curch St. Mary, the City Scales and the stair-gabled houses at the market place.
Its front premises use the gorgeous baroque half-timbered construction which the court steward Gerdt Heindrich Meuschen had built in 1690 in Bierstrasse 24.
The hotel received the name "Walhalla" from one of his later owners. Before that it was called „Ratsschänke“. Walhall, in the German mythology, was the place of residence of Wodan, a heroic paradise where the Valky’s fighters gathered for heavenly banquets.
Chronicle - Destruction & Reconstruction
On March, 11th 1613 a devastating fire broke out in the court house of the Twente in Schweinestrasse 5, the current Marienstrasse. Because of a strong southwest wind the fire spread to the wooden half-timbered houses, barns and stables of the old town at great speed.
Numerous town houses in Marienstrasse, Heger Strasse, Große and Kleine Gildewart, Bierstrasse and Turmstrasse, St. Mary's church and the City Scales as well as the Dominican monastery, the Hasetor and the bishop's mill completely burnt down.
Today a board in St. Mary's church reads:
„Ao. 1613 d. 11. March, this church and tower, and 942 houses in this town are reduced to ashes by the will of the Lord..."